Thursday, September 11, 2014

Okonomiyaki | Japanese Pancakes

Okonomiyaki is Japanese pancake made of eggs & flour mixed with few veggies, noodles & topped with a special sauce to complete the recipe. The name okonomiyaki means "As you like it" or "What to like it" & sure you can literally add anything you like. I have seen few recipe which kept on adding & adding lot of layers to this pancake. 
Okonomiyaki pancakes are topped with a special sauce named as Okonomiyaki sauce. But to customize it I followed the recipe below I mentioned & customized it to our taste buds. me & hubby like spicy things, so I added some sriracha sauce to kick some heat {Though it wasn't enough for us :)}. Try these breakfast pancakes, sure you will love them.
Adapted from here.
Prep Time-10mins | Cook Time-15mins | Serves-4large pancakes 
Ingredients 
4Eggs 
1/4Cup wheat flour {replace with all-purpose flour}
1Cup shredded cabbage 
2Carrots grated 
2Scallions chopped 
1Tsp salt 
2Tbs oil 
Okonomiyaki Sauce {Not the traditional sauce}
1Tsp soy sauce
1Tbs tomato ketchup 
1Tbs mayonnaise 
1Tbs dijon mustard 
2Tbs sriracha sauce
1Tsp honey 
- Mix in all the above ingredients & keep aside. Adjust the flavors if needed.
Garnish 
Few scallions chopped 
Few sesame seeds
Directions
- In a bowl whisk eggs & wheat flour to a smooth paste.
- To that bowl mix in cabbage, carrot, scallions & salt.
- Heat a non-stick pan with little oil & pour in the batter in to a circle form.
- Cook it completely on one side, till it is slightly brown & liquid on top of pancake is vanished. Then flip it to the other side. 
- Cook for few seconds or till it goes to light brown in color.
- Remove it from pan & repeat the same with rest of the batter.
- Lay a pancake in a plate & top it with okonomiyaki  sauce along with scallions & sesame seeds. 
Note
- Batter is thick & easy to handle. 
- Traditional okonomiyaki sauce consists of worcestershire sauce & it's not vegetarian. So I made this my own version of sauce.
- You can add in your choice of vegetables apart from the one's I added. 
Follow me on "Facebook", "Google+", "Pinterest" for daily updates. Leave me a comment on any queries regarding this recipe & I will be able to answer it for you as soon as possible.


15 comments:

  1. So much variety from Japan! These pancakes look fabulous .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pancakes are so cute and colorful. I am sure they must have tasted great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the presentation and okonomiyaki look appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This pancake makes me hungry, okanomiyaki is one of my favourite and its been a while i had them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting pancakes , looks so tempting !

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow such an tempting and delicious pan cake :) looks super tempting , I love the brown color you have attained .. Wud love to try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pancakes look fluffy and sooo cute. Love your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pancakes looks so good Sreevalli. Very flavorful !

    ReplyDelete
  9. even i like it a bit spicy, this pancakes are unusual and different, nice pick

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful presentation..Pancakes are everywhere but never imagined these from Japan :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very lovely presentation and one would never have guessed a pancake from Japan..good one..

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was one pancake my girls wanted me to make after we ate it in hotel but none of us could remember the name so searching for it was difficult. Thanks I will try this .

    ReplyDelete